Dublin: +353 (0)1 809 7248 Galway: +353 (0)91 709 700


Motor Third Party Insurance or Third party liability cover is a statutory requirement under the Motor Vehicles Act. It is referred to as a “third party” cover since the beneficiary of the policy is someone other than the two parties involved. The policy does not provide any benefit to the insured. It covers the insured’s legal liability for death/disability of third-party loss or damage.

The most common type of third party insurance is automobile insurance. The driver who caused the damages is the third party. If someone hits your property you can file a claim on their insurance policy which will not affect your own insurance.

In the event of the offending vehicle being uninsured the MIBI Agreement provides for the payment of compensation of vehicle/property claims, however the alleged offending vehicle must be identified by means of a valid registration plate.

In instances where the alleged offending vehicle cannot be identified by means of a valid registration plate MIBI has no liability to pay compensation for vehicle/property damage [unless there are significant personal injuries arising from the same accident].


In the event of Motor/Road Liability:

  • Take name and contact details of the driver of the offending vehicle
  • Take insurance details from the offending vehicle. This can be obtained from the windscreen of the vehicle.
  • Take a note of the offending vehicle’s registration number and make and model
  • Take photographs of the incident scene
  • Report the incident to An Gardai
  • Report the incident to your own insurers for information purposes only
  • Contact Clearys for advice on how to proceed

Contact us for help.