Burst pipes are one of the most common types of insurance claims in the home or business.
Pipes burst for many reasons but the main reason in winter is due to freezing temperatures. The
water in the pipe expands when frozen leading the pipe to split/burst.
Apart from the obvious water damage – water can seep along joists, down inside walls, under
floorboards, into electrical sockets and can be more difficult to see.
Clearys experienced team of Assessors are trained to investigate damage thoroughly and to advise on the most relevant Trades to minimise the damage the water does.
The photos above show a pipe which has been burst along with the various types of damage caused as a result such as damaged ceilings, floorboards saturated and the collapse of a ceiling onto a sitting room and bedrooms
In the event of a burst pipe:
- Turn off the water supply immediately
- Turn off water dependent appliances including your boiler
- If the water leak is from the attic/above ceiling level, turn off the water supply and turn on all hot taps to drain remaining water out of attic tanks as quickly as possible
- Engage a professional immediately to stem any flow and make repairs to prevent further damage
- Report the incident to Clearys Loss Assessors & Insurance Services immediately and do not effect any permanent repairs until all damage has been assessed and repairs are agreed with us
- If appliances are affected, turn off the power at the mains board if safe to do so
In the event of a leak:
- Retain all damaged material as it may be crucial to establishing the nature of loss, assessing damage and validating your claim
- Ventilate, gently heat and dehumidify the property
- Do not re-engage utilities until they have been checked by a competent and qualified professional
- Contact Clearys Loss Assessors & Insurance Services on 1850 28 1850 to register any claim for damage and to discuss repair work required