Follow these tips to help prepare for high winds and freezing temperatures this winter.
When strong winds are forecast:
- Make sure that the property is well maintained and drains are cleared regularly
- Roofs should be inspected regularly for loose slates/tiles and poor guttering.
- Trees should be maintained and dead/vulnerable branches should be removed.
- Outdoor items such as patio heaters, furniture, barbeques, bins and animal feeders should be secured or securely stored.
- Gates, doors, sheds and fences should all be closed and locked.
What you should do after a storm:
- Contact Clearys Loss Assessors on 1850 28 1850 to register any claim for damage and any discuss repair work required.
- Do not re-enter structurally damaged buildings until advised that it safe to do so.
A burst pipe in your attic, if unaddressed, can be as devastating as a flood through the front door. It probably represents the greatest risk posed to your home by freezing conditions. Freeze thaw action can also cause structural damage.
How to prepare for the freeze:
- Lag/insulate outdoor pipes, attic tanks and supply pipes.
- If a property is unoccupied, the water should be shut. Run the hot taps to drain the attic tank. If your home is unoccupied for any period during cold weather, leave the heating on to protect pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Open the attic door to allow heat into your attic. This helps to prevent the pipework and tanks in your attic from freezing.
- Leave the underside of the attic tank un-insulated to allow warm air to reach the tank.
In the event of a burst pipe:
- Turn off the water supply immediately.
- Turn off water dependent appliances including your boiler.
- If the water leak is from the attic/above ceiling level, turn off the water supply and turn on all hot taps to drain remaining water out of attic tanks as quickly as possible.
- Engage a professional immediately to stem any flow and make repairs to prevent further damage.
- Report the incident to Clearys Loss Assessors immediately and do not effect any permanent repairs until all damage has been assessed and repairs are agreed with us.
- If appliances are affected, turn off the power at the mains board if safe to do so.
In the event of a leak:
- Retain all damaged material as it may be crucial to establishing the nature of loss, assessing damage and validating your claim.
- Contact Clearys Loss Assessors on 1850 28 1850 to register any claim for damage and to discuss repair work required.
- Ventilate, gently heat and dehumidify the property.
- Do not re-engage utilities until they have been checked by a competent and qualified professional.