Holiday season is the time when many people decide to leave their home and spend the Christmas vacation in the mountain or in their holiday home. Before you leave there are a couple of things which you have to take care of so that your primary residence stays in top shape. We have thought of everything. Take a look at these simple steps to follow when you have to winterize a house.
“Pack, lock and go”
But before that make sure:
- Make sure motion sensor lights and central station alarms are working and set before you leave home.
- Turn off water at the main shut-off valve, unless some household items require it to remain on. Such items may include an ice maker, an automatic sprinkler system that doesn’t have a separate shut-off, and a pool.
- Most newer water heaters are equipped with”vacation” mod setting. Turn it on. The water heater will run occasionally but not nearly as often as it does normally.
- Toilets can collect bacteria, which can cause stains. Pour a half cup of chlorine into the bowl (not the tank).
- A continually dark house, both inside and out, can be a signal to a burglar that no one is home. Turn off all lights except the ones you want as security measures. Put the security lights on variable timers
- Make sure to hide the keys to the garage in a safe and not visible place and to lock the door that leads to the garage. Do not leave any spare keys for the car in the house in case the car is parked in the garage.
- Make sure the fridge is empty or at least that the food left in there will still be good after the holidays.
- Turn all ringers off and the answering machine muted.
- This is the perfect time to spray the house for pest control.
- You have done a great job! Bravo! Now go and have fun!