To begin, statistics show that:
- July is the most likely month of the year to get burgled.
- 28% of Burglars gain entry through the front door.
- 31% of Burglaries occur between the hours of 12pm and 4pm
Here are a few helpful tips to help you do what you can to protect your house against Burglary:
- The first line of defence you have against burglary, is the exterior of your house. Keep your gates locked.
- Make sure your shed, tools, bikes, expensive tools are securely locked.
- Keep bins and ladders secured away from windows, as these make gaining entry on upper levels of your home much easier.
- Erect sensor lights around the outside of your house, this will deter burglars.
- Make sure all your windows, doors and cat flaps, any method of entry into your house are securely locked before you go. Carelessness is an invitation to any opportunist burglar.
- Keep valuables out of sight of windows, and where possible keep curtains/blinds drawn.
- Have your burglar alarm tested and make sure its working correctly.
- Its a good idea to invest in timers for lights, it gives the impression there is someone around.
- Get a trustworthy neighbour to keep a look in at your house, to make sure nothing unusual is going on.
- Check your insurance policy; make sure you are adequately covered against Burglary.
A break away, where you can rest assured your house is not an attractive holiday destination for Burglars. Leave your comments with questions, and other security suggestions.