Outside the Home:
Potential intruders will look for signs of carelessness around your property that identify you as an easy target. It does not take a lot of effort to make your home appear less appealing.
- Never leave shed doors or gates open, keep them closed and locked.
- Keep all valuables such as bikes and tools locked away, out of sight.
- Never, ever, leave keys outside under a mat or a plant pot. If you have to leave them for someone, ask a neighbor.
- Never leave ladders or bins (these can be climbed too) outside or unsecured.
- If you have a side passage on your property close it off with a tall and secure gate.
- Fit outdoor security lighting.
Inside the Home:
The Eircom PhoneWatch Burglary Report recently found that a staggering 85% of burglaries take place while people are in the home. 28% of burglars enter through the front door and the majority of burglaries take place between the hours of 12pm and 4pm. With this in mind we would recommend that you always keep the following advice in mind.
- Leave a light on in the hallway, intruders prefer darkness.
- Get a timer for some lights in the home, the are inexpensive and give the impression that someone is home.
- If you have an alarm, use it every time. If you don’t, look into getting one.
- Always leave a few lights on when you are away.
- Never leave a door or car key in the door or in the hallway, burglars use hooks to get them when they can see them.
- When on holidays, ask your neighbor to use your driveway.
- If you lose your keys, change the locks.
- Never leave money, wallets, laptops or handbags in view from a window.
- Keep doors and windows locked in unattended rooms.
- Keep all important documents and treasured items stored securely.
- Install deadbolt locks on all entry doors.
- Lock the back door when answering the front door.
There is no need to live in fear in your home, you may never experience a burglary but we must all remain vigilant and act responsibly towards security in our homes.
You can download this useful Garda Home Security Checklist here, GardaHomeChecklist.
Remember, if you ever find yourself a victim of this crime, don’t touch anything and call the Gardaí, then call Clearys on 1850 28 1850, we will get you back on your feet in no time.
Next Post: Why insurers are appointing builders directly to repair your property.